Thursday, January 8, 2015

I’m Nickalaus Mooth, spelled that way exactly, no matter how much the school system for the last 12 years says differently. I’d much rather be called Nick, though, since it sounds better, looks better, is more efficient to say, etc. I’m here at OC to make up for my rather lackluster schooling career (Can you really call it that?), and to get a jump start on what it is I’ll be doing down the road. Currently, I’m a kind of self-employed graphics designer. I use software to make designs for Game Developers and they thank me with access to beta tests and stuff like that. I also play a lot of videogames, as well, obscene amounts even. I’ve gotten to the point where I’m doing gameplay analysis for high tier “E-sports” teams across the US for a few different games, since I really don’t dig the stress of being on an actual team (Y’know, no to brag or anything). I’m looking for an actual job, but are pretty much guaranteed a spot at the local Gamestop if worse goes to worst.  One of my favorite activities, besides making horrible transitions, is to go shooting. I’ve got a Mossberg 500 12 Gauge shotgun that I use to hunt the majestic Northwestern Clay Pigeon, and an old Yugoslavian SKS that spits fireballs downrange farther than actual bullets. I also have a Weatherby Vanguard in 30.06 that can put 5 bullets in the same hole from 100 yards which I love. I’ve also got a cat who is pretty cool. It’s a five month old tabby that would rather attack my legs when I am doing something than cuddle, which I’m totally ok with since she’s kind of really adorable. On top of all that crap I’m also what could be considered a musician since I play guitar, bass, mandolin, and 2 types of saxophone. Granted I’m pretty mediocre at all of the aforementioned instruments, I still play them.


-          What is your cats’ name? Dot
-          What are the two types of Saxophone? Alto and Tenor
-          What’s your favorite videogame? Team Fortress 2


1)      How did knowing you’d be sharing your Bio with the class influence the details you chose to write about?
Well, I figured that we’d be sharing it so I wrote it as if I was having a conversation with someone. That way I’d be addressing most questions in the writing except for the little details. I really wouldn’t change a thing.

2)      Were you surprised by the questions your partner asked you?
Not really. In fact I kind of banked on those questions being asked, due to me being a little more vague about their subjects.

3)      How did the questions make you rethink your bio?
See: Question 1

4)      What would you change, add, or omit now that you’ve done this exercise?
See: Question 1


5)      We all know how to… Written by the act of writing?
Quite frankly I’m not sure I understand the question completely. The first way I interpret it though, is “How do we change what we write about ourselves to get the approval of others?” To this I reply with: I don’t. I don’t change anything. If someone doesn’t like me because of some superficial reason, I would probably be happier. If the question is addressing about which form of writing we use, then I’d say I would change it depending on who it was being introduced to. I would keep all the same information, because why would I lie or omit what makes me? I would only change how formal or informal it is. I knew that I was just going to be talking with my peers, so what’s the point of going through all the reading/proofreading/editing that would be necessary for introducing myself to the President? Also, I’d hate to be (As Christopher Walken would put it) interpreted as a “Stiffy McStifferson”. I don’t want people thinking I’m someone I’m not.

A third way this could be interpreted is “Are there limitations to how you present yourself on paper?” to which I’d say “Wholeheartedly.” As I said above, it’s highly dependent on who you are talking to. If it’s to the President, you are probably going to gloss over your personal life, and get more in depth with your achievements. He probably doesn't want to hear about how you miss your cat. If it’s your best friend, then you will probably be getting in depth with emotions and all that embarrassing stuff. But, for instance, if it’s with a fellow classmate, you are probably going to find a nice balance of both. All in all, I’d say that our writing style should be dictated by who we are surrounded by and who we are meeting, but letting yourself get edited out is just as bad as lying to the person you are writing to.

No comments:

Post a Comment