Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Taking stock of my writing.

How was composing Essay two different from composing Essay one?

Well, I'll just get the obvious answer out of the way. One was a narrative, two was an argument. Besides that, one required much more research, preparation, brainstorming, and drafting than the other. I had to cite things instead of arbitrarily say "This is the way it was."

I found both fun to write, but for different reasons. I found the narrative was enjoyable because it would entertain me through making visuals as I was writing them down, and providing a nice trip down memory lane. The argument paper felt like I could get passionate about something, and give reasoning as to why 'I am right, you are wrong!'. I love arguing, and I love playing Devils Advocate even more, which is why I could get more into the second paper.

That being said, essay one was much, much easier to write, since I've got a very good grasp on imagery and how to effectively use it, alongside a talent to type almost as fast as I think. Maybe that's a bad thing, considering I type at 60 words per minute on a good day. Actually, that's a bad thing. I digress. I typically find it easier to recount the story on a keyboard or a pencil as if I were reciting it orally, which helps the overall flow of the writing, and I knock it out without so much as a second draft.

All in all, I was much more efficient timewise writing essay 1 than essay 2, but I enjoyed essay 2 more since it let me get more involved emotionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment